Requirements to Join
Membership in CMF CURO is a blessing and will not be refused to those who meet the following requirements and will continue for as long as membership duties are fulfilled.
- Members must be professing Christians who attend church regularly (at least 3 times per month).
- Members must agree to abstain from sinful practices such as drug abuse and sexual immorality.
- Members must agree to abstain from tobacco use, although a rare celebratory cigar or pipe is allowed for special occasions.
- Members must not abuse alcohol; the moderate consumption of alcohol is acceptable.
- Members must be accountable to a pastor or church leader for their commitment to live by these membership requirements In particular, a member’s pastor or church leader must sign a Church Leader Verification Form (CLVF) (can be done electronically) attesting to all of the above criteria when the member applies to join the CMF CURO and SMI sharing ministry programs. In cases where the signature of a pastor is not possible, the signature of another church leader will suffice.
The CMF CURO all-in-one membership card makes health sharing easier. The card is your Membership ID and serves as your authentic proof of CMF CURO membership. The card includes important information for medical service providers — the Payor ID number is used by medical service providers to send an electronic file to CMF CURO’s service pricing administrator, which then generates a statement with the suggested discounted price (125% of the Medicare rate) and mails it to the Member in approximately 10 days. The Member then has the medical provider sign off on this suggested discounted price. The CMF CURO Membership Card also allows you to receive all your shares on your account. As a VISA debit card, you can then use your Membership Card to pay for approved medical expenses. Please note that if you prepaid and want reimbursement, you should utilize the normal check sharing process instead of having the funds place on your CURO Card.
Sharing Responsibility and Limitations
As an active member of CMF CURO, you are an active member of SMI. Please review the SMI Guidelines for all limitations and administrative requirements of the sharing ministry. SMI exclusively reserves the responsibility of determination of publishable sharing based on the SMI Guidelines.
You have a $300 family contribution per need that is offset dollar per dollar for whatever discounts you receive. For example, if the need was $1,000 and was discounted to $700, the entire $700 would be shareable. If the need was $1000 and discounted to $800, you would pay $100 for the family contribution, and the remaining $700 would be shared.
If all needs of the membership cannot be met in a specific month, a prorating method is used to evenly distribute the burden. For example, if there is only enough share money for 90 percent of the needs submitted for a particular month, only 90 percent of each need would be published in the newsletter for that month. If prorating occurs three months in a row without being reversed, the SMI board must propose a share increase to the members for a vote.
Ex: Discounts reducing the $300 Family contribution
Need 1-Total need is $5000, discount is %30, so Member pays $3500. The $1500 discount is at least $300, so the entire $3500 is shareable
Need 2-Total need is $700, discount is %30, so Member pays $490. The $210 discount reduces the $300 family contribution to $90. Member pays $90 and the remaining $400 is shared.
As a member of CMF CURO you are an active member of SMI. Please review the SMI Guidelines for all limitations and administrative requirements of the sharing ministry. SMI exclusively reserves the responsibility of determination of publishable sharing based on the Guidelines.
Was this helpful? Leave a rating!